Sunday, May 8, 2011

Same Patterns, New Adventures




Around this time four years ago I had just graduated high school and was ready to start a new chapter in my life. Just a few short days after smiling for the cameras dressed in my cap and gown and waving my diploma, I was on a plane bound for the adventure of a lifetime: Africa. If there was ever one thing I was absolutely sure about as a child, it was that I was going to travel to Africa. And after holding three different jobs and saving every penny, my dream finally came true after graduation as I headed to South Africa to volunteer with a conservation effort.

Now, fresh off the market with my Fisheries and Wildlife degree, I am heading back to the land I've been in love with since a child. Only days after graduation again, but this time from a university, I am heading to Namibia. Three weeks of wildlife viewing, learning about conservancies and conservation initiatives, traveling over sand dunes in the Namib Desert and visiting the indigenous tribes all await me as I step on the plane tomorrow.

Although I have been to Africa before, I am entering this trip with no expectations or anticipations. This is hard to do, especially if you simply google "Namibia". The beauty of the people, wildlife and land is breathtaking. However I will let my own adventure unfold before my eyes, and not taint any moment with preconceived notions or expectations, but simply take everything for what it is; an amazing experience.


Of course this is what I do know about Namibia:


  • The Namib Desert is considered the oldest desert in the world and has been around for at least 55million years.
  • The Namibian coast line is the only coast in the world where the desert meets the ocean, making it a favorite setting for movies.
  • The Namibian coast line is also the only coast line in the world that is completed protected by National Parks.
  • The Namibian constitution (which is only about twenty years old) is one of the only constitutions in the world that includes conservation as a mandated priority, making Namibia very forward and  successful when it comes to wildlife conservation.
  • Namibia is home to Fish River Canyon, which is the largest canyon in all of Africa and the second largest canyon in the world.
So, my bags are packed (mostly) my ticket and passport are sitting patiently on my desk, and I am ready to close my eyes and dream of Africa until I can wake up Wednesday morning and see it for myself. It seems my life has fallen into a familiar pattern of starting each new chapter with a trip to Africa. Of course I don't mind this at all, and look forward to every chance I get to go to the land I feel most at home: Africa here I come!

No comments:

Post a Comment