Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Cats!

Today we went to Anamani Cat Reserve. We got to see leopards, cheetahs, and lions who have been rescued and rehabilitated to be back in the wild. When we first showed up we were greeted by two baby warthogs who affectionately nibbled on my fingers and squealed with delight as I scratched their ears. soon we jumped into a vehicle with sidebars and open top and headed towards the Khomas mountains to search for the big cats. Seeing them up close was amazing, and I was reminded of the raw power of these predatory cats. And when the lion roared as the sun went down, the deep bellow echoed through the mountains and awakened something in my soul. While driving back to the lodge I asked some of the Damara people to teach me some words. They were delighted to teach me several phrases that had the clicks in it! Now I'm practicing my clicks with whoever is listening ha ha. We ended the night at a famous game restaurant where I had zebra, ostrich, crocodile, and kudu. Great food and even better people! Here's a toast to our first day in Africa! With so much fun today, I can't believe there is over two weeks left! Love you all from Africa!
Amber







1 comment:

  1. Love the pics!! So happy to see your smiling faces and that you made it in one piece!!

    ReplyDelete