Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Music Messages


What is today's top hit music telling us?

As I was listening to a modern hit music station on my way to school, I was struck by the feeling of wanting to go downtown and let loose with my friends. I realized that the music was literally changing my mood, and was making me excited about about hanging out and not having a care in the world. The songs glorification of drinking and partying allowed me to feel this way. And I wondered, what is today's hit music really telling us?

After looking up America's Top 40, I started to look through the lyrics of each song. I made a data table to search each song for one of the following lyrical messages:


  • Sex
  • Drugs
  • Alcohol
  • Clubbing
  • Profanity
  • Women Degradation 
  • Hate
  • No Education
  • Racial Slurs
  • Violence
  • Greed
  • Kindness
  • Uplifting 
  • Love
  • God
The results were alarming yet not surprising. The six most prominent messages relayed by these hit songs are sex, alcohol, profanity, women degradation, love and clubbing. See pie graph below.


After this I was interested in if the gender of the artist played a role in what messages are relayed. The following graphs the percentage of the message relayed to the sex of the artist. 


Presented with these two different aspects on music messages, you can draw your own conclusions. I find several things alarming about the second graph, and feel the need to point them out.

 Of the messages promoting the degradation of women, female artists are responsible for the same 38% as male artists. This is shocking evidence that women in the music industry feel the need to adhere to the standards that the male dominated industry sustains of women. 

Another interesting point is that 15% of female artists glorify being "dumb" or not educated, where 0% of men sing about this. Is it a need for a best selling female artist to dumb herself down and "sexified"* herself up in order to sell records?

Although my inquiry is not a comprehensive scientific review of the subconscious messages of today's hit music, it does raise some concerned questions about what sells in today's music industry. I think further follow up on what would these graphs look like 20 years ago, or what they would they look like if you were looking at another country's Top 40 would be interesting, and might be something I look into next. 

The next time you are listening to your favorite tunes pay attention to how it makes you feel. Then ask yourself what exactly is this song telling me? You might be surprised. 




*"Sexified" is a word Ke$ha used in her song "We R who we R" (Which is currently number 1)

America's Top 40

3 comments:

  1. nice job Amber! It is interesting to listen to the beat of music also. many of those songs have a rhythm that promotes the type of messages you have discovered in your "fun" research.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Scooterz-This is so true! The beat is what usually gets me to love the song, even if the lyrics are less than great. That would be something fun to look at, although you might need to be a music expert or have sweet software on your computer to analyze that. Thanks for the imput!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Extremely good analysis . Can I use these images in my upcoming book on music discourses in my language ( Marathi ) . Social deconstruction of music is almost non existent in India

    ReplyDelete